Bit The Bullet

Posted: June 30, 2011 at 8:00 am

I finally did something the other morning that I had anticipated for awhile.

image

That little blurb right there means I actually purchased my study material and testing package from the National Academy of Sports Medicine to get the ball rolling on me becoming certified in personal training.

HO-LY-COW!

After recently putting my dreams out there so solidly you would think this next step would come naturally. You would think nary a moment’s hesitation would come before hitting “Confirm Order” on that screen. Oh, ho. No no no, my friends.

I found every way imaginable to procrastinate on actually taking the first real progression in my goals. I masked under the guise of researching which program I planned to use for my certification, even after making the decision a long time before. I  kept questioning Peter on if he really wanted me to do this. I went back and forth over which package, materials, program, and support to choose within NASM.

I did all those things out of fear. Fear at spending a portion of our hard-earned savings. Fear over all the minute business details and logistics that will coincide with wanting to do online training and be my own boss. Fear wondering “do I really know this is a path God has for me”? Fear that no one will want to hire me. Fear.

fear quote

I ended up hitting “Complete Order”. It took a lot, but I recalled a little word I had promised to embrace this year – trust. I dedicated myself to trusting in all ways – trusting my body, trusting God, trusting my heart, trusting my passions, and trusting that trusting all those things will bring my life such fulfillment and joy beyond my imagination. Whew, that’s a lot of trust. ;)

I have these passions for a reason. I have these hopes for a reason. I can do this. And I will. Let the studying begin!!!

• What is the scariest thing you have done?

Tags: ,

105 Comments to “Bit The Bullet”
  1. Yey! You are going to be an AWESOME personal trainer! You already have so much knowledge and insight to offer, the certification is just the icing on the cake!

Congratulations on taking the first step!

I would say that starting my blog was a little scary for me, but like your cert, pushing past the fear is so worth it! 🙂

2. YAY!!! Congratulations. You are totally following your dreams lately – love it!

3. Brittany says:

This is awesome!!!! AND oh so exciting!!!! You’re going to be awesome 🙂 And i would love love love for you to be my personal trainer!

4. Excellent, Tina!! You can do this. After getting to know you through FFF, I know you can do this. So Proud of you!!

5. Congrats girl. This is something I’ve been putting off too. I don’t know why, it just seems scary to me.

6. So excited for your new adventure! And you are right, you have this desire in your heart FOR A REASON! You just have to trust in it!

7. Sarah says:

Hooray! You’re on your way! This is so exciting, Tina!

Congrats!!!! I’m going to wait another year for mine, so I have more time to study. I wouldn’t be working until after both girls are in school so there is plenty of time. I know you will do great!

The only way I’m doing this now is if I can fit it in with staying at home. Hopefully the online thing works out!

9. Congrats! This is no surprise to me because you are awesome 🙂

10. Nice! You will make a fantastic trainer!

11. Congratulations! I’m so excited for you! I’ve always wanted to be a personal trainer and nutrition consultant. I could do the consulting, but the fitness part is not possible.

12. Woohoo! I am so excited for you! This is a great next step. I already know you will rock the exam, and I think Personal Training is going to be the perfect fit for your lifestyle. It allows you to have the flexibility you need to raise those 2 little tots of yours. I’m really proud of you for taking this leap of faith. I know those study materials don’t come cheap, but I absolutely think you are doing the right thing!! 🙂

13. that’s great tina! I bought all the materials at one point when I Was feeling alittle lost career wise, but then I quickly found that it wasnt for me! You will be a great trainer.

14. YAY!!! As I said before if you need any NASM help I am here!!! I have no doubts you are going to rock!!

15. Brynn says:

Congrats! You’re an inspiration! Way to follow your dreams.

16. Rachel says:

Way to go!! You will be an awesome trainer.

For me it was definitely when I chose to go by myself to Switzerland for a year, my junior year of college. Scary, but it turned out to the be the most amazing experience of my life!

17. Kathleen says:

I’m so excited for you. You’ve got this! Do what you love and you will enjoy going to work. I think that is the best advice my parents ever gave me and the reason I went to art school and now work in my field. My bro decided he loved golf, he’s now a PGA professional. My parents were right, imagine that… I can’t wait to follow you as you reach your goal. Congrats on taking the first step to getting there.

Congrats on the first big step! I can tell by your passion that you’ll be a great personal trainer. The scariest thing I did was transfer schools and switch my major 2 years ago, but I am SO glad I did.

19. Congratulations! You’ve made the first step toward realizing your dream!

20. Hooray for you! I can’t wait to hear about your journey.

Scariest thing I have done: quitting my job and going to grad school full-time. It is also the most “worth it” thing I’ve ever done.

Isn’t it funny how the scariest tend to be the most worth it? I guess the challenge is part of the feeling of reward though. 🙂

21. Lenae says:

Congrats, its always scary to try something new. I love this blog and always look forward to seeing that new and interesting things you are up to.

22. Alexandra says:

Thank you so much for visiting my blog!! 🙂 I’m so stoked that you commented so I could find yours, we have so much in common girl! Can’t wait to read more 🙂 Oh and a huge high five and congrats on starting the personal trainer program!!!

23. Carly says:

Congrats!!! I need to forward you the email that NASM sent me with a bunch of study tips. There is one chart in the book that is ridiculously important to know like the back of your hand.

Scariest thing I’ve ever done… quit my teaching job. It was safe, had good benefits, good salary, but I hated it! I don’t regret it at all, but it was terrifying at the time 🙂

24. Yay, congrats on taking the plunge! I think once you make that initial step, it gets easier. Fear builds up and can consume you before you actually do something, but I’ve experienced it to vanish pretty quickly once I get the ball moving with whatever it was that I was fearing to begin with.
    This may sound silly, but starting my blog recently was the scariest thing I’ve done in awhile!

25. oh congratulations, girl!! I’m so happy for you for making it happen.

Scary stuff for me is always career related – did I make the right move? Should I have turned that job down? eeeeeek. I have to remember that no choice is final and you can always find your way to what you want to do!

26. Congrats!!! Taking that first step is almost always the hardest one, right?

27. Congratulations Tina!! What a huge first step!!!

28. Sarah says:

This is exciting! Can’t wait to hear how it all goes for you. You’ll do great I’m sure!!

Scariest thing for me thus far would probably moving away out of state. It was a hard adjustment but two years later I feel like I have my own little home here.

Love the quote too, I truly believe it!

29. Congrats! this makes it so much more real.

I’m hoping to bite the bullet soon with a big move from the West Coast to East Coast…meep!

30. I am currently working on one of the scariest things…I want to quit my job but I am terrified to do it! There are so many “what-ifs” and it’s a huge step, but something I have been thinking about for a long time! Yikes!

31. Mac says:

I did that same thing after I decided I was going to take the CSCS, it took me forever to make the actual first step towards doing it. But now we’re both well on our way!

32. Sarah R says:

Yay! Congrats on taking the first step. The scariest thing that I’ve ever done is gone back to school. It was so nerve wracking at the time, but I’m so glad that I did.

Rock and roll my friend!! I am so proud of you for taking the leap even though it’s a scary leap. You are going to be amazing! I guess for me the scariest decisions have been getting Group Kick certified, signing up for my first half and um, signing up for my second half marathon. Ha. All fitness related, go figure 😉

34. Katie says:

Congrats! That’s always something I wanted to do, but haven’t go to yet. I signed up for a 50 mile race with no real idea how I’m getting there or anything just know I wanted to do it! I also took time off from school which is scary because I was unemployed (just got a job today) and had no real plans. Everything works out like it should though!

35. jobo says:

woohoo!! So glad you took the leap. you are going to be AMAZING!

36. Yay!! So proud of you!! Congrats!

37. yayayayyaay!!!!! congrats girl! that is aweosome =)

38. Woo-hoo!

I think the scariest thing I’ve ever done is have kids! Just the unknown is the toughtest part.

You KNOW you can do this – and do it well 🙂

Kids = constant worry/fear. Am I going to do something to screw this beautiful being up??? <--- that's scary LOL

39. EEEK! I’m so excited for you!! I think the scariest thing I ever did was give birth…..and then after I had the baby, it wasn’t so scary afterall 🙂

40. Anna Crouch says:

YES! That’s awesome!!!!! If I lived anywhere near you, I’d totally come to you for personal training 🙂 Congrats! It’s one step closer!!!

In response to your “Do I really know this is the path God has for me?”

When I am hit with this question myself, I am reminded that 1) God gives me passions, desires, skills and talents for a reason…and not just for MY OWN benefit. 2) if I prayed and asked for only His will, and it was something He didn’t want me to do, He would shut all the doors and not allow me to continue on that path. 3) “If I don’t try, I may never know.”

Keep pursuing your dreams! God doesn’t place dreams in your heart, only to crush them!!!! 🙂

Thank you so much for your comment. Especially that last part. 🙂 I had to tell myself that too when finally commiting to it. And I plan on doing online training so maybe I could train you. 😉

• Anna Crouch says:

Oh wow! That would be awesome!!! Keep the updates coming, and when the time comes, we might be able to set something up!!!!! 🙂

• Anna Crouch says:

oh and the scariest thing I’ve done (so far, or recently) is get out of my old working situation, to pursue my dreams of going back to school to become a Registered Dietitian! I went from full time, to part time. It was scary for many reasons, one of them being financially. But on the last day of my job, my husband received an offer for a NEW job, which supplements the money we lost from my income! 🙂 God has a plan in everything.

That gave me chills! God really does have a plan for our lives and he wants good for us. 🙂

41. To date the scariest thing has been moving to colorado…change isn’t easy but you’re right that you have these passions and desires for a reason! Go get ’em girl 🙂

42. YAY!!! Im so excited for you! 🙂

Registering to go back to school in the fall was definitely the scariest thing I’ve ever done. But chasing your dreams is worth it.

43. Congratulations! This is awesome news! It is so inspiring to see people chase after their dreams!
    I like what you said about trust…God has big plans for you!!!

44. you got this. and people WILL want to hire you. believe to achieve.

45. woohoo!!! so proud of you 🙂

Hi Tina! Long-time reader, first time commenter 🙂 Congratulations! I’m also considering getting my personal trainer cert. possibly NASM as well? maybe ACE? if you don’t mind me asking, what package option did you end up purchasing? It’s hard to determine on their website what you actually NEED vs what would be “helpful” Thanks!

I did the standard one and added on the study materials test review package. It made it $30 less than the “Pro” package but doesn’t come with the workshop. I know flashcards and lots of practice questions help me remember things well, so thats why I added that on. I dont think I needed the live workshop but if you learn well in a classroom environment then I would personally choose a package with that. Or if you think you do fine creating your own study materials then go the cheapest option that has the textbooks and testing. 🙂

47. lindsay says:

So glad you did! We are all here to support you! congrats.

48. Mrs. Fish says:

Yay, Tina! I think the hardest thing about starting anything new is just getting started! 🙂
    The scariest thing for us as a family recently has been my husband quitting his job. His company required 100% overnight travel for our five months and refused to discuss more equitable arrangements, even though they were promised. He’s currently searching, but the waiting can be so hard. But we just have to rest in the fact that this is the step God wanted us to take!

49. Meri says:

Way to go! I’ve been going through a similar thing lately- I recently submitted a story I wrote for publication in an online journal… I’m just nervously awaiting the news. But it feels good to go for it!

I hope it works out for you! That is nerve-wrecking like no other I bet waiting to hear back. No matter what congrats on putting yourself out there and going after a goal!!!

One of the best purchases you will make! 😉