30 days of self love – exercise

Posted: September 10, 2010 at 8:15 am

Happy Friday! 😀 I hope you all have fabulous weekends of either fun or relaxation awaiting you. I look forward to a massage and UGA game. I’ll still be around here blogging about self-love, so stop by and share your thoughts if you can. For now…today’s post!

********************************************************

We cannot deny that part of loving ourselves fully comes with loving our bodies. We have already discussed the importance of appreciating what our bodies can do for us as well as avoiding the trap of idolizing them. How do all these thoughts and ideals play out in practice though? Exercise, if approached considerately, plays a significant role in helping us achieve self-love.

First of all, we need to take a closer look at what we classify as exercise. It does not only consist of running, taking intense fitness classes, doing yoga, or lifting weights. In my mind, exercise simply means movement of the body with a health benefit. So walking to and from work, dancing around your living room, chasing around your kids, strolling through a new city while sightseeing, hiking with friends, and so many other activities count as exercise. Just because we don’t visit a gym, a running trail, a yoga studio, or that area of our house marked off for our Insanity DVDs doesn’t negate our physical activity.

[hehe - source]

We must also keep a few other things in mind when discussing exercise. The number one reason to spend time “working on our fitness” (as Fergie would say) is simply that. To work on our fitness. Our health. The benefits it provides our bodies. We need to love our cardio workouts first and foremost for strengthening our cardiovascular systems. We need to  love our lifting sessions for the extra bone density it builds and strength for everyday living. We need to love our yoga for the flexibility it provides our muscles to protect themselves and the ease of mind that reduces stress. We need to appreciate exercise for the endorphins to enjoy life, the appropriate hormonal levels to aid sleep and focus, and the additional strength at combating chronic diseases. Forget the smaller pants size and nicer arms. Exercise helps give you a better life to enjoy your body and all of its gifts! How could we even forget that?

[source]

Having fitness related goals also can spark motivation, determination, and strength in an individual. Working towards an exercise involved goal is not a bad thing. In fact, it can promote self-love by uplifting a person and helping display admirable characteristics he or she might otherwise have ignored. While we must always be cautious of letting any goal consume our lives, we should take pride in our fitness accomplishments. Find something you truly enjoy and let it help the awesomeness of you shine through. Take caution to keep fitness related goals fun and then reap the positive rewards.

[source]

As you can see, exercise has a lot of power to either strengthen us physically and mentally or wear us down in those ways as well. Our perspective and focus on exercise determine which happens to us. Do we take notice of all the fabulous things we do for our  health physically? Can we appreciate them even if not in the traditional workout setting? Do we enjoy our fitness activities and goals? Do we refrain from losing focus on life as a whole in pursuit of those goals? Let exercise fulfill you, not control you.

Has exercise ever controlled your life or defined you in a negative way? What ways can/do you pursue fitness for health and a stronger sense of self? I know when I trained for my fitness competition I allowed that goal to eclipse other areas of my life and lost respect of myself in the process. Realigning my focus to pursue fitness as something I love and to better my health made me feel strong and positive. In the future, I will still have fitness goals to give me something to be proud of, but will not allow them to overshadow  myself as a whole.

Quotes to Reflect On
Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person's physical, emotional, and mental states.  ~
Carol Welch

Exercise is a dirty word.  Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate.  ~Author Unknown (just because its Friday and it made me laugh) 🙂

*To be added to the email list and receive links to the posts in the morning, please let me know of your interest in a comment below.

*For more 30 Days Inspiration visit these bloggers who shared their personal 30 DSLR messages and let me know if you share anything relating to the 30 DSLR on your blog!

88 Comments to “30 days of self love – exercise”
  1. As always, fantastic post that got me thinking. I’m heading out to do a speed workout and for the first time in a while am really looking forward to it. I’m excited to feel my body move and push myself in new ways. Often though, I feel a sense of dread in exercise. I think this is a sign that I need to think about new ways to move joyfully, rather than simply forcing my body into submission.

And I love your quote about exercise being a dirty word!

We always have to find workouts that make us happy overall. I can’t stand the thought of dreading a workout. I really believe there is some form of activity to suit everyone. Hope you had a good speed workout! 🙂

2. For a long time, I didn’t allow myself to walk “for exercise,” because I didn’t think it was vigorous enough, even though I loved it! In my mind, for exercise to be worth anything, it needed to REALLY hurt. Now I see how wrong that is…and I take walks almost daily!

Agreed! I used to think walking wasn’t really exercise either. Um, it works me pretty good and I have really been loving walks lately.

3. I don’t think exercise has controlled me in a negative way. I always try to see the benefit in it and not get too caught up with the specifics.

4. Julie says:

I’ve had such a new love for “movement” these last three weeks as the husband and kids and I have tried a different non-traditional exercise each day for 30 minutes. We’ve played frisbee, gone on nature walks…and just last night had a massive pillow fight.

Movement is GOOD!…and FUN! and I personally think it’s such a very important thing to teach our children. It should b something they (and we) look forward to. Sometimes it’s hard to make movement/exercise look more fun than iCarly or Spongebob or the wii, but I’m trying!

Hi Tina! Another great post. Unfortunately, I have let exercise control my life in the past. When I was doing a lot of long distance running, it came to a point where if I wasn’t running X number of miles at X speed, I wasn’t happy with myself and I didn’t feel whole. I felt out of control, tired, and cranky. I’ve since realigned my thinking to much less of an all or nothing approach and see exercise as a way to keep my body healthy, not to run it down to the ground. I’m much happier (and healthier) now than I ever was running 50 miles a week.

That’s how I felt with competition training. It became this massive competition with myself that I could never win. So much better when we can understand not each day will be record breaking.

Ah! I totally needed this message today as you could probably tell by my rant-y blog post last night. I find myself teetering sometimes on the line of loving exercise for how it makes me feel and bordering on obsessing about “getting my workouts in” as I lay them out in my mind for the week ahead. For the most part, I view exercise as something that makes me ME and that keeps me healthy, fit, strong and in good health for years to come. There are some days, though, that I obsess over it for the wrong reasons and I’m trying very hard to have fewer of those days. I’m getting there. Thank you for this – again – you totally struck a chord for me today, at just the right time! amazing.

I love when something pops up that’s just what we needed to hear/read/etc at that moment. I know you’ve had posts do that for me in the past too. 🙂

And I think its normal to have days where we get a bit more obsessive and stressed over exercise. Like you said, its striving for those days to be less.

7. Kat says:

Exercise for me at times can be a real downer., especially when it comes to running. If I get on the treadmill and dont have a good run, I feel really bad about myself. I get down about it. Strength training however, never does that to me. It simply makes me feel strong. I try and stay away from cardio as much as I can so I DONT get that negative feeling, but being a soccer player I dont really have a choice!! Each time I do cardio I just try and focus on the fact I was blessed to be able to run AT ALL. I take my legs for granted. I should appreciate what they can do for me, even if it is in the form of a little run

8. In the past whenever I would push myself to do too much of a certain exercise I would end up hating it! So, these days I have to enjoy what I’m doing or I just can’t get my bum off the couch!

After my competition I took a month off. Part of it was because I had to to gain back the weight and get my cycles starting again for baby making, but I also had no motivation. I hated exercise at that time because I felt so forced to do it in training.

9. Astrid says:

I do let exercise control my life a little. I usually have a schedule. Yoga one day weight the next, etc. But this week, I have decided to do 3 days in a row of yoga. I just felt like exercising my body differently and I went for it. I strayed from the schedule and I feel great about it. It is strange, because my body feels like it got strengthened but that it got a little break at the same time! I think that’s because I took a little pressure off of myself. Exercise should be fun, not rigid!
    This is an awesome post, Tina!

10. I know that exercsie has changed my life in amazing ways. There are certainly times where I have gone for a run to burn off calories, but 99% of the time it’s a positive and uplifting thing in my life

11. Penny Lane says:

I do obsess a bit over exercise as well as food. When I am very determined to lose weight I will try and get two hours of workout in a day. This then begins to rule my life and so that I talk to people outside of this life I become the woman who is on their cell phone on the “Dreadmill”.
    I recently made the decision to not stress out over the workouts I did, but just get up and move/stretch/lift for an hour a day. I have never been as happy on a workout regime in my life, I even find that I want to spend more than an hour doing this activity because I am having so much fun.

12. I started going to the gym during volleyball off season when I was only 15. It was a downward spiral from there, really. I became obsessed. Obsessed with going to the gym, obsessed with losing weight, etc. It lead down a bad path and def affected me negatively for a year or so.
    Now I’m happy to say I definitely appreciate and agree with your exercise for health benefits and improving fitness mindset! 🙂

13. Exercise always does make me feel better if I have been down on myself, its funny how thaty works!!

Happy Friday!!!!!!

Yep! When a workout is simply to move and appreciate your health, relieve stress, etc it can be really uplifting. Otherwise if you go in with I must accomplish x, y, and z you end up feeling even more defeated. Boy have I been there. The 1st option is os much better, huh? 😉

Thanks for writing about exercise! It’s so easy to become obsessed with burning more calories, working out longer, etc.

Exercise has always been a part of my life, but for the past 5 years or so I saw it more as a tool for being able to eat whatever I want. I would obsess over counting calories and try to log in extra time at the gym to burn off whatever junk I had overindulged on. I remember one day I worked out for an hour and a half, nonstop, so I could burn off 1000+ calories I had binged on the night before. Not good.

Now I work out for ME, not to burn off junky food. I eat better and use food as fuel for my body to give me energy. There are so many days when I’m stressed, and I can’t tell you how much better I feel after I break a sweat. Those endorphins really do work! I started running/walking again after a long hiatus and fear of injuring my knee again. My friend is talking about training for a half marathon and I’m toying with the idea. Never in a million years would I think of doing that. We’ll see what happens 🙂

15. exercise used to be exactly what defined me. i met all of my friends at the rec center in college. i was there 2 hours a day every day even when i was sick. it was everything i was, and then when i graduated and couldn’t afford to go to the rec center anymore i freaked out.

it’s been a long time since that and i am JUST NOW getting over it! but i’ve learned to really love exercise for how it makes me feel. i love it!

I’ve been there too where I felt like all I was was my fitness self. I felt like people only viewed me as worthy because of my exercise and diet diligence. How ridiculous! I was so scared that if I didn’t focus so much on it that I would lose my sense of self.

I’m not surprised we share something else in common. 😉

16. Sues says:

All very true! I think obsessing about anything is a bad thing. Since exercise should be a big part of your life, I believe in making it fun and NOT like a chore. I go through phases when I don’t go to the gym at all and just get my exercise in in the every day life ways. It makes me feel like I’m enjoying life and not being stuck in a sweaty gym. Happy weekend 🙂

17. I love exercise, but for a long time I used it as punishment for overeating. I thought I could eat alot of food and then burn it all off. I dreaded exercise for so long.

Now I am getting to a state of mind where exercise is fun, and challenging and a way to release stress. I don’t use it to punish myself. I’m working towards a balance of healthy food + exercise.

When I exercise, I feel good. I look good. I feel better in my clothes (or without them, ha!). I am truly blessed to be able to exercise!

18. Marg says:

I’ve never let it control me, but would like to get more into it. I was doing great for awhile, and I do feel so much better when I’m going. Lately I feel I’m too busy and it’s easy to put off.

19. When I don’t use excercise to punish myself…I find the beauty in it.

20. I love your comment about running to strengthen your heart – as I train for my first race, I get so consumed by the numbers for my pace, mileage, and splits…now I’m way more concerned with my heart rate and how it’s improving. This has allowed me to stop focusing on the number that don’t matter as much and start focusing on how this activity is improving my heart. It takes so much pressure off of me to be my times. Great post Tina!

21. I just like that exercise makes me feel stronger…physically and mentally. It is more about taking a few minutes for me to think and do something for myself.

22. When I became an “empty-nester” and no longer was defined by my relationships to other’s (Merran’s mom), I decided it was time to remember who I was. Part of my transformation back to myself included fitness. In the past two years I lost 40 lbs ~ working through exercise video series, lifting weights, gym membership and Zumba. Exercise has become my mental refuge, my time to become so focused I don’t worry, contemplate, reflect – I just workout. However, I do “think” exercise and diet a lot, and I like reading and writing about it, and I LOVE seeing new muscle definition, and sometimes worry that it could easily become who I am, rather than a part of who I am. It’s all about balance… and I’ve never been the most graceful.

23. Nichole says:

Exercise is movement. If people associate exercise with work, of course it sounds like a chore.

Fantastic insights! Loved the chocolate quote, haa.

I also hope everyone reading follow THEIR own exercise routine and not those of others they see online, TV or elsewhere. From a 5k to a marathon, it’s what is best for each individual.

24. ashleigh says:

I have had love/hate relationships with exercise. When I lost weight the first time around I was much to obsessed with wanting to workout all of the time and was going to the gym for like 3 hours a day. Now, I am really into exercise. I do everything..swimming, running, walking, weights, dance, spin, and although I still spend far too much time w. the calorie counts of what I am burning, I still think my relationship with exercise is much better. Just yesterday I went to the gym without my HRM! I was also in an awful mood yesterday.. I thought I looked gross and I was so uncomfortable all day until I went to the gym and got just a bit sweaty, I was like geez I am amazing not gross! So although I would say my relationship w/ exercise isn’t perfect and isn’t exactly where I want it to be I am making strides every day!

25. Shannon says:

I appreciate this post because after a summer of slothfulness, I’m preparing to return to school and a schedule that allows for regular workouts. Normally, I dread them and abhor them and this post allows me to think that one of the reasons I do not enjoy working is because I’m doing it for the wrong reasons. As a student, my life is dictacted by the ebb and flow of stresses put onto me by others, my professors, my boss, my family, my volunteer activities so that I can get into the masters program of my choice. Exercise is all about me and my time to decompress and destress. And it doesn’t necessarily need to be a sweat-fest that leaves me gasping for breath or too sore to move the next day, I just have to move my body and to enjoy doing so.

26. Ahhhh exercise. Can be so great or so bad.

Now, exercise is great bc I enjoy it. Im not pushing myself to the brim every. single. workout for purely vanity reasons.

Now I exercise bc I like the way it feels. Now, I view exercise as walking, as MOVING. I view yoga as exercise where even 6 months ago I only viewed high intensity cardio and weight lifting as “worth it.”

27. Being addicted to exercise is what got me where I am now with this stress fracture. I was so consumed with burning x amount of calories that all I saw running as was a calorie burning tool. And I pushed my body too far, over-training and under-fueling. To say I learned my lesson is an understatement. Now I view exercise exactly as what you said… to improve my HEALTH. I see my body as strong, something that can handle what I do. And I fuel it properly. I still have my weak days where I am too concerned with how many calories i’m burning. And I know deep down that the Lord won’t give me back running until I have this under control.

28. Amanda says:

I loved this post!! And I especially liked the quote at the end! hehehe 🙂

29. Thank you for the encouraging words here. Fabulous quotes, too! As someone who’s slowly growing to love exercise, keeping yourself motivated can be a challenge sometimes. I’m not a runner, but I do love sports and walking. Sticking with a variety helps me … but if I’m repeatedly doing the elliptical, I try to give my mind little obstacle to overcome, like telling myself I’m “half way to the half-way point”, etc.

I am certainly not a runner either! LOL Its so important for each of us to find what we enjoy for us. And try not to compare ourselves to what others do. Keep up the good work!

30. Tina, let me say, that while you have mentioned that in the process of training for your fitness competition you lost respect for yourself, you portrayed a MUCH healthier attitude about it than some of the other women I have known/talked to. I admit that some days I feel like setting a goal to do a competition by a certain time to really kick my booty into gear as far as my weight loss goes. Then I saw how stressful getting your body back into baby making mode was for you, and I’m going for baby # 3 in a year or so. I saw that same stress happen for other ladies, too.

As far as I go, exercise does WONDERS for several aspects of my life: my mood, my strength, my energy, my libido, and most of all my self image. I can’t tell you how many times my husband has said, “You need to keep going to the gym. Not because you’re fat, but because you’re a totally different person.” I am. I admit it. I’m a complete and utter biotch when I haven’t been exercising. I’m tired, moody, bloated, weak, and I look at myself in a completely different light. I wish I would have known this a long time ago. Maybe I did…maybe I was just too lazy to continue.

Very true! I wasn’t near as restricted as others during my training but I still did have to stick with a plan and follow some guidelines. I hated being tied down and not doing it for ME. And yes….very hard afterwards. What an emotional roller coaster that was. I always support anyone who wants to shoot for a comp, but I like that you are looking to the future and what it could impact in your life too. If its still a goal later, go for it!

31. Sarah says:

I definitely let exercise rule my life. And not just to maintain my weight or cardiovascular systems but I love the feeling I get after a good sweat session. I used to demand my body do insanely rigorous sessions (body pump or lifting 3x week, 1+hr cardio ever day) but now I’ve begun to listen to my body. I still workout but I let my body decide what it wants. Last week it wanted to run 5x and this week the thought of running made it want to crawl back into bed so I did a combo of elliptical and stairmaster. In the wise words of Elle Woods “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy”

“…And happy people don’t kill their husbands. They just don’t!” hehehe

I have taken a massive break from regular exercise this week and it feels so good. Listening to your body does wonders. Who would have thought? 😉

32. Stacy says:

I wouldn’t say exercise ruled my world, but in the past it was something that felt like a requirement and not something to be enjoyed. I felt I had to exercise to burn calories, to stay skinny.
    Now I enjoy exercising, and if I rest and not exercise then that’s what my body needed that day. I exercise for heart health, so that I can continue to love and live. I exercise to clear my head, so that I can cleanse my thoughts of negativity. I exercise for my soul, so that I can work towards peace. I exercise to prevent migraines, well because I don’t like pain 🙂 I exercise because it makes me happy and I want to not because I have to. I exercise to help me sleep better, because I’d rather not be cranky. I exercise because it improves my relationship with myself and with others.

Ahhhh yes. Exercise is one of those “tricky” things that can be great if you don’t abuse it. Kind of similar to how I think it can be with healthy eating – I think that, in a way, can definitely be taken to an extreme. I have been there, and am slowly getting to that place where exercise isn’t ONLY about the calorie burn. I love yoga now, whereas before, wouldn’t have considered it as a workout because of the low calorie burn. But it IS exercise, especially for my mind. I think that is the main difference between how I view exercise now versus how I used to see it!

34. Kelly says:

In my earlier years I used to be obsessed with getting my workouts in and I would end up in a terrible mood if I was unable to work out on a particular day. I also felt that I had to have these puke in a bucket types of workouts or I didn’t really work out at all. I have finally learned balance. I plan my week so that I have one or two days of a high intensity workout and then I schedule in some lighter days. I try to vary the exercises I do as well as vary the intensity. By doing this, I don’t get bored, there is no dread factor, and I have been able to exercise injury free for 27 years. I have come to really look forward to my workout times.

35. I love exercise-related goals! I feel so motivated and empowered – it’s very exciting. My new ‘running goals’ are really keeping me on my toes and ‘working on my fitness’ – love that reference. 🙂 Not to be a big cheeseball but I really feel more confident and strong – love it. And I think they enhance my life and fit in rather than take over (at least for now – definitely something to monitor!)

36. Kelly says:

I totally let exercise run my life. I workout 7 days a week. I don’t just go through the motions I really get into it. I have a hard time with rest days. I don’t usually let anyone or anything get in the way of my workouts. My husband will confirm that. I’m trying to get a lot better with the rest days and listen to my body. I may not take a rest day every week but I do take them now.

At least you are taking them at times! Maybe have a goal of each month adding in one extra rest day until you get up to at least one a week. Give yourself time. 🙂

37. Chelsea says:

Your post today reassured me that I am doing the right things to stay healthy. Trying to eat healthier foods, not for weight loss, but because they help my body function better…and healthy foods DO actually taste better if prepared in the right ways! My husband and I just set a goal to start a running plan to strengthen our stamina enough to possibly enter a race in mid April 2011. We both absolutely hate running, but only b/c we’ve given up on it before and never stuck with it. This time we are in it for the long haul!! It is much easier AND enjoyable when you do an exercise with an accountability partner. It is only week 1, but we are both proud to say we have one week down! I am also enjoying it more for the fact that I’m not doing this to simply make myself look better, but to make me FEEL better and hopefully to STILL feel better as I age, all because I kept my body healthy when I was younger. Please keep your posts coming, and don’t get discouraged!!

38. Just wanted to say hi to my fellow Bulldawg fan and say keep up the self love reflections 🙂

Happy almost game day!! Beat Spurrier! … I mean South Carolina 🙂

Bahahaa! I always think of beating them as beating Spurrier too. I used to not mind the Gamecocks…now I do. Because of him. And his scowl. And his visor throwing. LOL

39. […] Tina’s topic today for the 30 Days of Self Love is an important one to me; working out. I have been working out 3 times a week for 10 years! I joined my first gym on campus in the Fall of 1999 and started working out when I was in college and then went on to a membership at Bally’s for a few years, then a small local gym and then finally Lifetime and CorePower Yoga. It is interesting to think that I have had a membership somewhere since I was 18. While I have not worked out 3 times a week every single one of those weeks, I have had fitness in my life. […]

40. Great post, great quotes! If I need to be inspired or motivated, I know whose blog to hit up!!
    Have a great weekend, Tina!

41. Jennifer says:

I think I may be pushing myself too hard. I feel like I have to be even fitter during this pregnancy than the last one, which is ridiculous. What am I trying to prove?
    I’m working out HARD for an hour and a half (and sometimes two hours), six days a week. I did just return from a 10-day vacation, but I pushed myself even then, with 10-mile steep hikes in 11,000-14,000 elevations.
    Typing this, I see that this is a little out of control. Nobody really knows that I’m doing this, and I’m not even sure why I am.
    I tell myself that I’m doing it for “me” time, to preserve some of my old self, but is there more to it than that? Methinks. Definitely.
    Now what?

Gah! I don’t know how you’re managing all that! I know my body would be screaming for a break. I agree that exercise time is great “me time” as a mom, but be sure you are respecting yourself and the baby in the process. 🙂

• Jennifer says:

Thank you for your gentle response, Tina. I realize today that I need to cut back. Baby Boy deserves that. Thanks for opening my eyes.

I hope it did come across as gentle. After rereading it I thought hmmm….maybe “Gah!” wasn’t quite the way to go and then I felt kind of bad. Anyways, I think its amazing you still have so much stamina but if you feel you’re pushing yourself a bit too much then definitely important to take a break from the longer sessions. I always say do what your body feels comfortable doing as long as the doctors have no concerns. You know what to do for yourself. 🙂

42. I used to have such an unhealthy relationship with exercise. It was more of a punishment than a form of self-care. I really had to face my attachment to it head-on and recognize that extreme changes needed to be made in order to develop a more healthy relationship with both my body and my gym. Since adopting a more moderate schedule that is based on my body’s desire for movement, I’ve discovered the true JOY of exercise. 🙂

43. Stacey says:

When I first started college, I used to exercise because I wanted the body of a celebrity or to just “have the perfect body” and be the “perfect” weight. When I realised that I get to define what those two things meant, I started to worry less about looking like someone else wants me to look, and being HAPPY with the way I look. I now exercise because I enjoy doing it, and I enjoy the way it makes me feel. I also plan on living for a long time, so I’ve got to stay in shape and free of disease!

44. Crystal says:

I am actually about to head outside for a nice, long, brisk walk. While a part of me reaches out to physical activity for vanity reasons, the larger part does it because it simply makes me feel good. I am proud of my body and I reflect that pride by taking care of myself, which means regular exercise. It helps to know that it’s one of the best preventative measures, aside from a healthy diet, against the effects of aging. I have actually never been obsessed with exercise and have never over-done it. That’s one area of my life I find I am well-balanced in.

45. […] felt compelled to blog about this today after reading Tina’s 30 day’s post for today on exercise and also The Healthy Apron’s blog on exercise […]

46. Proper exercise is the antidote to ALL PROBLEMS! I have never been addicted to exercise in an unhealthy way, and it was actually AFTER I stopped competitive swimming that I developed my eating disorder. I spent all my time for many years swimming, and it was painful and emotional, but it allowed me an outlet. Without that outlet and that hugggge chunk of time spent doing something I loved, I became totally lost. I am now back to swimming and wondering why I ever stopped.

I just LOVE the way swimming/exercising makes me FEEL. My self-perception becomes so positively altered that it does not even matter how I look and never becomes about the perfect body. I think using your body for something positive is really important to mental and physical health.

47. Melodie says:

I have definitely been “addicted” to exercise. It was not a fun time in my life :/ I decided to “fast” exercise for 3 months and it changed my life. There are still certain thing I have to stay away from and I only do things I love… like running and tae bo, walking and yoga! Love your blog 🙂 Not sure how exactly I stumbled up on it, but I am loving the 30 days!!

48. Julie says:

I’ve never had the problem of exercising too much. What can be just as bad is inactivity…of this I’ve definitely been involved.

Doing something to move every day just feels right! Doing something HARD every couple of days just feels right. Sitting on my butt for more than one day of relaxation just starts to make me antsy and want to bad things…like drink too much wine.

I wrote a bit more about how I’ve learned (FINALLY…as in TODAY!) from the mistakes I’ve made in the past about how quickly your body can let you down when YOU let IT down.

At 42 years old, I know I’m pretty ancient compared to most people who visit this blog, so I want to take this opportunity to say that I feel like I’m 20 (inside) and it’s hard for me to live in a body that’s not cooperating the way it used to. My inside 20 year old feels this scream coming up and out of me “Hey…this outer me ISN’T THE REAL ME…I’m young and healthy with not a care in the world…Somebody help get me out of this old gal’s body!!!!”

This all really started a long time ago with not taking care of what God gave me, but the results of that neglect only started showing up in the last couple of years. It was like I woke up one night and my skin looked old (and eventually I was diagnosed with skin cancer…thank you all those days in the tanning bed and rubbing baby oil on me before laying in the sun) and my legs hurt from years of running and lifting heavy weights and NEVER stretching and now I hobble out of bed each day from tight knotted muscles.

JUST working out is not taking care of yourself. You have to listen to what your body needs, not what your mirror tells you that you need. Movement, stretching, luxuriating…this, your body also needs. This your soul needs.

Ok, sermon over…it was mostly for myself…I know I didn’t listen to what anyone over 40 said when I was young, because 40 was OLD…and I was never going to be 40. I had years and decades before that happened…
    and then it happened overnight (gulp).

Love yourself, love your body…not for how it looks, but for all the wonderful things it allows you to do when you take care of it.

49. Michal says:

It’s funny because for me, exercise is often my escape – my way to NOT have to think about what’s going on in my life overall. Sometimes it’s good to focus on that one goal and be in this one moment (even when you can’t breathe!). Balance, as always.

50. […] Speaking of exercise, that is today’s topic for 30 Days of Self Love.  Go check out Tina’s lead post here. […]