Today, I Coped

Posted: February 17, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Today, I coped by crying.
Today, I coped by
researching to help ease the immediate fears I had.
Today, I coped by
being there for a friend during the loss of his father and gaining some much needed perspective.
Today, I coped by punching and kicking out emotional tension with a workout
Today, I coped by
remembering food does not feed emotions.
Today, I coped by praying.
And today, I will cope by turning to you all for support.

My mother was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis today. The most wonderful, giving, loving, and selfless person I have ever known. It came completely unexpected. I can’t help but feel afraid as watching a loved one’s health diminish is one of my ultimate fears. All I can say is the only way I know I can continue to cope is with faith. I appreciate any prayers, positive thoughts, or whatever you got sent my mother’s and my family’s way as we adjust to this news. And super prayers for the health of the best woman out there. I love you, Mom.

SDC12498

146 Comments to “Today, I Coped”
  1. Sometimes crying is the best therapy. I’m sending positive thoughts and prayers your way tonight.

2. Karolina says:

I’m sorry for the news of this diagnosis. It’s incredibly scary walking into an unknown that is new and scary and daunting. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

3. My prayers are with you and your family today, Tina. I am so sorry to hear this news.

4. I’m so sorry. You and my mom are both in my thoughts and prayers.

5. Oh, Tina. I am so sorry for this news. Please know that I’m sending prayers to you, your mom and your entire family.

6. Praying for you, your mom, and your family.

7. Rebeca says:

My best friend’s mom has MS. It’s one of the hardest things to deal with but she amazes me. I know that this is incredibly difficult but with God and your mother’s apparent strength it will be okay. Maybe those words sound trite but I truly believe that with God everything is possible and he never gives us more than we can handle.

Praying for you and yours!

8. I’m so sorry for your news. I don’t know if this helps, but one of my best friend’s mom has had ms for like 15 years. She has flare ups, but she’s pretty much had it under control through treatments. I hope this cheers you up somewhat. I’m thinking of you and your family. <3

9. I’m sorry for the news, Tina. But if your mother is anything like you, I know she is a strong woman and will handle it all with grace. Good vibes are being sent your way. 🙂

10. Oh Tina, I am so sorry to hear that. She has some great things in her life with all of you there! My thoughts are with all of you right now. Big hugs too!

11. Tina.

This might sound silly, but I’ve been out of the loop recently (over the past week) and it’s because I’ve been trying so hard to cope with a really hard time in my life: the fact that my father and I have no relationship anymore and some pretty severe situations at work. What do you do when you spend 8 hours a day in a place where you feel unappreciated, stupid, worthless, and hated? It’s hard to explain over just a few sentences, but I’ve been really down and out. Crying every day. Tired. Not wanting to do anything. And then, when I pick up my computer for the first time in a week, I see this post.

I am SO sorry to hear that your momma’s sick. I read this post, and even as short and to the point as it is…it made me cry. I’m not kidding you…I cried. Like a baby. I cried for you, because I can’t imagine the pain of hearing that sort of news. I cried because I can’t help but think about how, well, selfish I’ve been to think that what I am going through could be “the worst thing ever”.

I’m praying for your momma…and I’m praying for you. I’m praying that she’ll fight this and WIN. He shows His love in mysterious ways, Tina. This could be the perfect chance for the relationship between you and your mother to deepen. You can never ever love someone too much.

Hugs and prayers are being sent your way.

12. Allie says:

I am so so so sorry to hear about your mom being diagnosed. Your family will be in my prayers, and I truly mean that. 🙂

Tina, I am so incredibly sorry for what your family is going through right now. My aunt was diagnosed with quickly progressive MS in 1993, so I know your fears (or at least, can imagine them). I am no expert on MS but if you have any questions or need to talk to someone, I am here for you. In times like this I admire your faith – I think, no…I KNOW it is what will get you through this. And please know, you have all of our prayers and support here, too. Thinking of you all, Tina.

14. SO sorry to hear this sad news Tina 🙁 i’ll be thinking of you, your mom and your family through this difficult time. Surround yourself with people who care about you and lean on them for support. Let me know if there’s anything I can do for you from afar, no matter how small.

15. allison says:

Im so sorry:(:(:( Ill definitely be praying!

16. marcia says:

I have been thinking about you all day. I will continue to send good thoughts and prayers toward you and your family.

17. So sorry Tina. Thinking of and praying for you and your family.

18. I am so sorry to hear about your mom Tina. I don’t know much about MS, but I can understand your pain. When my dad was diagnosed with luekemia a few eyars ago, all I could do was cry and scream and pray. You’ll be in my prayers!

19. Keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers love. You’ve got some great coping strategies down pact… just keep your head up beautiful! <3

20. Tina says:

I am sorry to hear this unfortunate news! My thoughts are prayers are with you guys! Stay strong!

21. I’m so sorry to hear this Tina. My mother has MS too, but she’s lucky that it hasn’t been too too bad. The severity of it varies greatly from person to person and a lot of times the pain can come and go. My mom gets flair ups occassionally with really bad pains in her legs, but she has had the diagnosis for years and is still walking and active. I wish you and your mom the best and feel free to reach out to me if there’s anything I can do.

22. Tina I am so sorry to hear this. My aunt has had MS for over 20 years and is doing very well, there is lots of hope and treatment. Sending all of my thoughts your way

Sara

23. Michelle says:

Hugs and prayers sent your way — so sorry for the bad news 🙁

24. lindsay says:

Tina, I am so sorry. My prayers are with you and your family. YOur mother is gorgeous and looks like a very strong woman. God is sovereign.

I have been telling myself that all day. God is sovereign and He is good. That is a great combination and I can have faith in that.

I am so sorry. I will be praying for you and for your mom. I understand the pain of watching a parents’ (in my case an in law’s) health deteriorate.

26. thinking of you tina. you are such a strong person everything will be okay. a good friend of our family’s was diagnosed with MS at 30 (with two VERY young boys) and she still leads a wonderfully full active and happy life as a nurse. xo

Sending your mom, you and your family all my love thoughts and prayers. I will be praying for you each day and thinking about you all the time. Lots of love Tina!

28. Katie H says:

I am so sorry Tina. My mother in law was diagnosed with MS forty years ago (she is 60) and she is still very healthy and active today..she runs races with me and skis black diamond slopes! It is a scary diagnosis but there is hope.

29. Tina, my heart absolutely goes out to you right now. I will be praying and praying and praying for you and your family. <3

30. Tina still praying for you and now your mother.

31. Awww. I’m so sorry. You and your family are in my prayers.

32. Caree says:

Tina- I know exactly what you are going through!! My mom was diagnosed with MS about 6 years ago. It’s definitely a scary time bc of the unknown. But there are so many options out there right now that can help her. I deginitely recommend reading about it–that helped me out a lot. My mom is apart of a support group which helps her too. If you need to talk I am here!!

33. Coco says:

Oh, gosh. I’m so sorry. Sending hugs and prayers your way.

34. <3 Sending lots of prayers and love!

35. I’m so sorry to hear that. Lots of love and prayers from my family to yours. XOXO

36. Oh Tina I am so sorry. You, your mom and the rest of your family are in my thoughts.

37. Oh, Tina, I am so sorry to hear this news. I will say some prayers for your mom and your entire family.

38. laura says:

I’m really sorry to hear about your mom. My grandmother was diagnosed with MS the same year I was born, and I’m really happy to report how great she is doing 30 years later. Ill be praying for you and your family.

39. Michelle says:

Tina,
    I am so sorry. You (and, of course, your mom) will be in my thoughts and prayers.

40. Jolene says:

Oh my God. I am so sorry Tina. My prayers are with you and your family.

41. I am so so so sorry to hear this news. You, your mother, and your family are in my prayers.

42. I’m sorry about your mom’s diagnosis. Sending you lots of <3

43. Kirsten says:

Thinking of you, your Mom & your whole family. I can only imagine everything you all must be going through.

If you are up for it, your family or your Mom, there is a MS Walk in Atlanta on April 9th. Here is the link: http://walkgaa.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR?fr_id=16042&pg=entry

It is the week prior to the Run the River 5K at Piedmont Park. It is not a race, but rather a walk. Mackenzie, Peter & Baby B could come too. It is stroller & pet friendly. I did it last year for the first time & thoroughly enjoyed myself.

A dear friend of mine was diagnosed a couple years ago. She is doing well but still fights that fight each day. This is a way to make me feel like I’m doing something to help.

Again, y’all are in my thoughts.

44. G says:

Keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers…

45. Lisa says:

Tima I am so sorry. I will pray for you and your family. My thoughts are with you.. God bless you and your beautiful mother!

46. Stephanie says:

Crying is an acceptable coping mechanism in this situation. Please know that we will be thinking and praying for your family. I know a very special woman that has been dealing with MS for nearly 20 years now and is still very active and positive and loving life. I know that it can affect certain people differently…but your mom can still live a very very full life. I’m sure that after your initial grief fades away….you are the kind of daughter that will help her through this with faith that can move mountains.

Much love to you and yours tonight Tina.

47. Becky says:

Tina, I am very sorry to hear about this. Your mother and your entire family will be in my prayers. I know this is scary for you all. Be strong and keep the faith. *hugs*

48. Praying for you and your mom Tina.

As a word of encouragement…My best friend has MS and her symptoms are managed so well that she can run. God has given doctor’s so many ways to treat the disease that it is not a sentence that it has been in the past.

49. Julie says:

Thinking of you and praying for you and your mom. The first year after my mom was diagnosed with cancer was so incredibly hard. I tried too hard to keep my emotions to myself and this wasn’t good. My children were only about a year older than yours are now and it frightened me horribly that they would lose their grammy so soon. Stay strong, let it all out when you need to, and love on her!!