I Cannot Believe I Let That Happen

Posted: September 9, 2011 at 7:03 am

Dare I tell you the crazy thing that happened to me last night? The thing that I find so hard to fathom and still cannot understand. The thing that left my stomach in knots and made me question the very essence of my being?

I forgot to do something of utmost importance. Somehow…someway…I forgot to eat dinner!!!

IMGP1293-1

THE HORROR!!!!

Okay. I know I’m acting totally over the top, but it’s Friday. Have a sense of humor! Smile with tongue out

I did seriously forget to eat dinner, though. Peter had some prior obligations, so I had to go dinner and kid bedtime routines solo. I frantically got the kids bathed, fed, and settled with the million step process of bedtime…then immediately came downstairs and plopped on my comfy chair with some NASM study materials out of habit.

IMGP1291-1

We usually eat dinner as a family, but I went the easy route and prepped some Annie’s Mac N Cheese for M with plans to make an egg, spinach, and mushroom scramble with a sweet potato on the side for me after the kiddos went to bed. An easy, filling, and delicious dinner in solitude. But I honestly forgot as I got sucked into studying…and then Bachelor Pad.

I had a pretty filling snack in the afternoon (a large green smoothie and a mint chocolate Luna Protein bar). I also have been adjusting to my much lessened hunger levels after stopping nursing. It’s insane! I used to have a bottomless pit for a stomach while nursing and suddenly I find myself needing to remind myself to eat. It’s not that I don’t get hungry – I just don’t get as noticeably hungry as I did while nursing. Unless it’s a long run day, of course. Winking smile

I will just have to get used to my new hunger signals. Don’t worry. If there is one thing I don’t do…it’s skimp on food. I love eating too much!

Which is why when my stomach woke me up growling (duh!) at 5:30 am and I realized the error of my ways, I obliged and gave it breakfast much earlier than normal.

banana oats 2

Oats with peanut butter, banana, raisins, and NuNaturals vanilla stevia liquid drops. Fill me up with happiness. I will likely be having lots of “fill me up” moments today. My hunger usually skyrockets if I don’t eat enough one day. I’m down with that!

• Have you ever forgotten to eat a meal?
  • Be sure to enter the NuNaturals giveaway if you haven’t yet!

Tags: ,

58 Comments to “I Cannot Believe I Let That Happen”
  1. It is RARE that I forget to eat a meal, but it happens every so often – sometimes I get so busy that I forget, kind of what happened to you.

2. I agree…I love to eat so i don’t usually forget to have a meal. Sometimes though my meals are a piece of fruit but it is somthing!

3. Haha I’m with you Tina! I loveeee food WAY too much to ever forget about a meal. In fact, while I’m eating breakfast, I’m usually already thinking about what I will be having for lunch AND dinner that same day.

Maybe I missed a major post (and I’m sorry if I did) but I didn’t know you were studying for a PT certification! I’m actually thinking of doing the same pretty soon, so I’m curious– what made you pick NASM?

Mainly the fact that they are very accredited and most of the gyms in my area prefer that certification. Also, I loved the support and materials offered through their site.

4. khushboo says:

That indeed is startling but what’s even more startling is that you don’t cook your banana into the oatmeal…trust me when i say it will change your relationship with oatmeal forever :)!

5. hahaha. I don’t remember ever forgetting a meal. Usually once I start getting hungry, it’s all I can think about! I always see people rushing to our break room at work around 2pm exclaiming “I’ve been so busy I forgot to eat lunch!” That has never been me. Eating is NOT something I forget.
    I have missed snacks because of being too busy though…

6. Kara says:

I will forget to eat dinner if my husband is traveling, so matter how many miles I ran that day. I guess my eating is more routine based than I would have thought! 🙂

7. when things get crazy at work I have to remind myself to eat by keeping an eye on the clock. My hunger signals are pretty much non existent, until I become cranky, so I have to make to sure not let the time get away from me!

8. Haha, the horror! You’re too cute.

I ate cookies for dinner last night. Followed by a bowl of black eyed peas. I’m not sure which is worse- forgetting to eat or eating what I did 😉

9. Lee says:

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever forgotten to eat a meal!

10. I don’t think I have ever “forgotten” — I might be too busy at work and not have time for lunch, but other than that I know when my next meal is and what it will consist of. Jason on the other hand, seems to forget to eat quite a bit — he just doesn’t look at the clock and see noon and think “hmm, time for lunch soon” — that is what I think!

I can’t believe you let that happen either. I don’t think I have ever done that – unless I’ve fallen asleep but even then I’m sure I woke up in the middle f the night. My stomach won’t let me forget 🙂

12. hahaha i always wondered how people forgot to eat dinner…i haven’t gone there yet but i can imagine it happens with two kiddos!

13. Amy says:

Hehe. … Bachelor Pad might make me forget dinner too (Ri.dic.ulous. ..But it’s totally a guilty pleasure of mine! I get sucked in!)

I can’t remember a time recently when I’ve forgotten to eat… but I know it’s happened in the past 🙂 Glad you were able to make it (at least mostly) through the night before your hunger woke you. I have a feeling I’d be scrounging at 2am!

Your oatmeal is beautiful 🙂 Happy Friday!

14. I don’t think I’ve ever forgotten! It’s probably because I do get so hungry that I sometimes feel faint…it’s crazy and kind of annoying haha. And it’s also weird that I get that hungry because I eat so much freaking food! Um, and I love that you got sucked into tv while studying- that tends to happen to me a lot 😀

15. Haha love your humor Tina! 🙂

I love food too much so no I’ve never ever forgotten to eat a meal…I haven’t even been too busy to forget to eat, ha! But I do have moments in wanting an unconventional dinner such as some fro yo – dessert for dinner is always a great option 😉

16. Nursing does the same thing to me – makes me RAVENOUS!! I don’t mind! 😉 I just try to fill up on the good stuff first, and THEN treats.

I think that’s what made me forget to eat. I’ve been SO used to that ravenous feeling all the time and now it’s gone so I guess I just assume…oh I must have eaten in that whirlwind evening. LOL

17. Brenda says:

LOL…I have actually and when that happens, I think, “Wow! Am I in a time warp? Me? Forget to eat?”

I find it kinda nice though, to find myself so satisfied with eating nutritious foods (instead of dieting) that I’m not constantly thinking of either “what can I eat next” or “now, just HOW long is it I have to wait to eat again?”

:o)

18. Amy Lauren says:

I forget to eat meals all the time, lol. I just get busy writing or busy here at work, and before I know it, breakfast or lunch or whatever is over, so I grab something if I have it and just keep going, lol. Life is just crazy sometimes so I totally get it.

19. Michelle says:

Ha! I don’t know that’s I’ve ever forgotten dinner… and rarely any other meal, but I’ve definitely forgotten lunch. Again… its a VERY RARE occurrence. I’m usually counting down to my next meal!

20. Hahaha…you know, I don’t think I’ve EVER forgotten a meal!! I should probably forget them a little more often 🙂

21. I can’t remember the last time I forgot a meal (I’m always looking forward to the next one! 😉 ), but I have had those days where I don’t eat enough resulting in me waking up extra early because I’m starving. The day after I don’t eat enough, I feel like I am constantly hungry.

22. heather says:

It sometimes happens to me when I am working hard at my computer all day, I will look up and its 3:30! Also when I work an expo lunch goes out the window, there is no time!

23. Rebecca says:

I forget sometimes. It’s either because I’m really busy, or because I’m too lazy to get off the couch or something, haha!
    To be honest, I haven’t really eaten a good breakfast in probably a week. I just don’t feel like eating when I get up for classes, mostly because I’m tired and sometimes in a rush to get to class. I was going to eat cereal this morning, and then I slept in and got sucked into the internet… Heh. MWF I tend to wait until after class & chapel (9 to 11) to eat anything…

24. When I was a kid I forgot to eat meals all the time. I still have a tendency to push lunch back to 2 or even 3 o’clock. I know it’s horrible for my metabolism to do that, so I really try to eat every 3-4 hours.

Here, I’ll share with you a true “I did something horrible last night” moment. The other night, like every night, before I went to bed, I looked in my kids’ bedrooms to check on them. I had left the side of K-Dub’s crib down!!! I almost never put the side down because I am so forgetful, I know I’ll forget it. And sure enough, the ONE time I put it down, I left it that way. Oh thank heavens when I put him down, he went straight to sleep. I can hardly stand to think of him falling over the side of the crib. Aughhh.

I’m the same way. So forgetful that I have to make sure I do things like that too…or reap the consequences. Glad all was well. 🙂

25. It’s rare that I forget a meal but I’ve also been nursing for the past …. few years … yikes! I’ve nursed each of my 3 kids pretty much without a break in between so I’m hungry all of the time!! I think my daughter is about ready to stop though and I’m looking forward to it =)

26. Kelly says:

I can not fathom missing a meal. I honestly don’t think I have ever in my life missed a meal because I forgot about it. Insane. Maybe one of the reasons is because I tend to be a tad bitchy when I miss meals and Keith never fails to remind me…ha!

27. jobo says:

Wow, I have NEVER forgotten a meal! LOL! I mean, there have been times when I’ve been traveling and haven’t had ACCESS to a meal, but wow, forgetting completely? that takes the cake hehe!

28. AHHHHH HOW DID THAT HAPPEN!?!?! Girl, I don’t think I have ever forgotten ha! It makes sense why your hunger is all out of whack though! That first picture of you made my morning!

29. Um…I forgot my snack a couple days ago? Which…yeah, is huge while nursing. At least it was YOU. My co-worker realized she forgot to give her TODDLER dinner a couple weeks ago. Not sure how she didn’t hear more about that one!

30. Lindsey says:

Hi Tina!

I think everyone misses a meal every now and then. No worries.

I’m having trouble adjusting to changes hunger patterns from a new form of birth control. Before I was always hungry or at least always had food on my mind. Now, my appetite has subsided immensely–which isn’t a bad thing. But my routine and daily intake of food hasn’t which I think is leading to weight gain. How do you adjust to either a decrease or increase in appetite successfully?

I’m not sure if there’s anything specific I do besides acknowledge something could be affecting it and paying close attention to my body’s cues for awhile until I get “reacquainted”. I also may loosely track my intake for a week or so to make sure I’m getting in a reasonable amount for my activity. 🙂

31. I usually anticipate my next meal, so don’t forget. I’m a plan ahead kind of girl, so I always know what lunch or dinner will be and don’t forget it. But sometimes, on a rare occasion, usually when I am busy out and about, I forget.

32. I have never “forgotten” to eat a meal but I have been too busy a few times. The whole “forgetting” thing is hard for me to understand, I don’t think my stomach would allow for it! haha but I guess if you’re just not hungry enough it’s possible 😉

33. Tiff says:

Nope – I can’t say I’ve ever forgotten a meal! That’s great that you didn’t eat when you weren’t hungry though out of habit. Hopefully you’ll remember tonight!

I didn’t eat part 2 of my breakfast today until 10, which I usually at at 8, and I didn’t eat all of it. Crazy. Usually my belly knows the time better than my watch!

34. Noo…I love food waaay too much to forget a meal. I’m that weird person who is planning what to make for dinner before eating breakfast. Or thinking about what I’m going to eat for dinner WHILE eating lunch. It’s kind of weird. But I can understand being semi sorta full after a snack and not being “dinner hungry.”

35. Hilary says:

I don’t think I’ve ever forgotten to eat a meal…I wish I had that problem!

36. Maren says:

I’ve forgotten breakfast a bunch of times because I get so wrapped up in getting out the door. Then I’m crazy scary Maren by 11am. But I’ve never forgotten dinner! I’m glad you woke up early and made such a yummy breakfast.

37. A *meal* maybe, but never forget to eat all together…snacks all the way baby!

I did however forget to put makeup on today…I went into the bathroom at work and was like, dang, I look tired. Well no wonder..I have no makeup on. Whoops!

38. The only time I’ve ever forgotten to eat a meal is when the baby was first born. I don’t even know if I remembered to brush my teeth when he first came home from the hospital! lol

39. Yesterday I had a late and filling lunch, then didn’t eat dinner at my usual time. I just had a green protein shake because I wasn’t too hungry, and was so busy all evening until 10pm. When I sat down, I realized I was shaking ! I haven’t had a hypoglycemic “attack” in forever,and I realized I was hungry + super thirsty so I fixed the problem…just hate eating late at night. Moral of the story, theres a reason why I need to stay on my schedule of eating because I feel like crapola this morning! Anyway hahah, have a great Friday 🙂

40. I’ve never forgotten a meal, but Im a MEAN hungry person, so thats probably a good thing. 🙂

41. Brittany says:

Oh my! I usually never ever skip meals but sometimes it happens! The times it happens to me is when I’m out late and don’t get home till around 11 pm. You can always make up for the lack of meal today 🙂

42. Suzy says:

There are days when I am just too tired to eat. Like after my most recent half marathon. I ate a fantastic lunch and then passed out at 630pm… I didn’t wake up until 830am the next morning! So, yeah, I skipped that meal!

43. Lately I’ve been eating such a big lunch and then having an afternoon snack that by the time dinner rolls around I’m not hungry! Lately I’ve just been making myself a smoothie and a small portion of whatever we’re having and I’m good to go. BUT on the bright side, I always wake up in the morning with an appetite!

44. You know…there are times I just feel like eating. Some days I just don’t have an appetite. Those are the hardest days, trying to make myself eat something. You are so not alone in forgetting to eat 😀

Those oats look amazing by the way! Now that the weather is a smug cooler I’m going to have to bust mine back out!

45. Have just discovered your blog and am so enjoying it. I think the title caught my eye as FFF are the components in life that keep me going and motivated! I often forget to eat a healthy dinner when I am on my own – especially when my three boys were as young as yours! I find it makes breakfast that much more satisfying and filling!

46. I can honestly say that I’ve never forgotten to eat a meal. In fact, I’m usually thinking about the next one as I eat the current one. I guess that’s why I can’t lose the last 10 lbs very easily.

47. I’m one of those girls that makes fun of people who forget to eat, because it’s SO necessary for me. But, then I did it last Saturday (and lived to blog about it!). Ha!

48. I’ve missed dinner a time or two or few… but missing breakfast and lunch is a bad, bad thing. Like NOT PRETTY! Breakfast is my fave 🙂

49. Forget to eat? If I could do that, I wouldn’t weigh as much as I do.

I used to constantly think about what I’d eat at my next meal. But I notice now that I’m doing Atkins, I don’t think about food nearly as much. And I sometimes do get involved with doing something, only to realize later that I haven’t eaten.

Hmm … maybe I have forgotten to eat.

50. Its a rare occasion I miss a meal. It normally happens if I am snacking all day. But if I am really engaged in something… its a possibility! I am surprised you made it until 5:30 am… I would have been up at 3!