Isn’t It Ironic

Posted: December 29, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Oh, how I used to love that song! Then, I heard it recently and the whole part with the dad leaving his kids to fly and crashing down made my stomach drop. I don’t like to think about that! Although, in reality, it has likely happened. Life is pretty ironic.

Exhibit A: For the past two months, I would have to stop contractions from becoming heavier at least once a week. Now, at full term, I want the contractions and they will only play peek-a-boo with a few mild ones here and there. I guess I will just keep walking, walking, walking. Nesting, nesting, nesting.

Exhibit B: With an impending baby’s arrival, you would think my body would try to stock up on sleep. Nope. It wants to sleep until about 2 am and then stay up the remainder of the night, uncomfortably tossing and turning.

Exhibit C: Makenzie won’t keep socks on her feet but loves to wear many on her hands like mittens. Then screams when she cannot manage to grab things, but refuses to take them off. I don’t get kids’ logic.

IMGP9615

Exhibit D: I used to tell myself I would not want kids. I also used to tell myself that those bragging moms annoyed me. Then, I had kids. I fell in love. I cannot contain myself from bragging. And asking you all to pretty pretty pretty please click the link to vote for her as Chobani’s Champ of the Month for their new kid Greek yogurt. Simply click the image below to go to the voting page. Then click the heart in the corner of her picture (2nd image in the top row).

chobani

Exhibit E: That you can love the beach, but hate the ocean. I don’t know what is swimming around me in there that could hurt me! Although, I will happily get in a lake where I can see nothing. Lakes don’t have creatures, right? Right?!

P1080932

Exhibit F: That every time you try to film your belly for a video of baby B’s dances he knows. He will kick and shove and make my belly wiggle just before we start the camera….and immediately after we give up. Yet I can’t keep last night’s short film session to myself. It’s too real and us not to share.

You have Makenzie in the background being all cute. You have Peter trying to make things work. You have my sister filming and saying slightly inappropriate things. You have baby B being uncooperative yet again, despite some slight shifting and distortion of my stomach around the 0:40 mark. And me being way too open for my own good as I film my 9 months pregnant stomach to share online. Enjoy!

If you can't see the video above - click here.

Question of the Day – What’s something ironic you have experienced before?

Tags: ,

61 Comments to “Isn’t It Ironic”
  1. Oh I love that video! That is without a doubt the best part of being pregnant. Probably the only part I liked, actually. 🙂

P.S. I voted for M!

2. going to vote for M now!

I think it’s ironic that I work longer hours now that I’m in charge of my own schedule than I did when I had an office job!

3. Haha I love that Mackenzie keeps bopping your stomach in the video. I just voted for her!

4. Lakes don’t have creatures … unless you believe in Nessie!

I voted for little M. So adorable — even if she wears socks on her hands. 😉

5. So fun to hear the excitement in M’s voice for Baby B!!! And I must admit – seeing pregnant bellies when the baby moves has always amazed me. I just can’t imagine how it must feel to have a little person growing and moving in there! (Hopefully I’ll experience this someday though…)

6. lindsay says:

I can’t stop laughing and M. SHe is slapping that belly like crazy. too funny. I also can’t wait to see how she is as a big sister.
    LC

7. lindsay says:

p.s.
    Now I’ve got that song stuck in my head! ahh!
    😉

8. Julie says:

Why is it that they will move and move and roll and kick, but as soon as the camera comes on: NOTHING!
    Grrrr. I used to make Steve point the video camera at my belly for like 30 minutes at a time before we would give up. Then Steve would leave the room and the partying would start right up again!

Cute video of M even if baby B wouldn’t participate too much!

They are too smart and devious. I can’t stand how he does that. Move move move move. Then, as soon as I try to catch it he’s still. How do they know? LOL

9. Voted for her! I hope she gets it!

Lol…that song always makes me laugh– my husband wrote his dissertation on irony, and he can get pretty worked up about how nothing in that song is actually ironic 🙂

10. Life is full of irony! I don’t even know where to begin on that one. I do think the more sleep your body needs or wants…the less you give it!

11. Tina says:

Makenzie’s laugh is so adorable! I couldnt help but giggle when she was patting your belly. She got my vote! 🙂

12. Coco says:

One of my law school professors hated that song. He said the events weren’t “ironic,” they were unfortunate. I think he would agree that your post gets the concept of “irony” right. I love Exhibit C!

13. Voted! And oh my goodness… M saying “Baby Brandon!” is the cutest thing everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

14. Shannon says:

As tired as I am some days, none compare to that last month of pregnancy! I just coolant sleep or stay asleep. Almost there! Hang in there! I can’t wait to read that Baby B has arrived!

15. Camille says:

Hahaha, my cat does the same thing when I try and record her. It’s like children and animals must stop doing whatever you are trying to record as soon as you turn the camera on 🙂

16. omygosh, please post more videos of M, i love it!!

17. I voted! <3 best of luck!!! she is so flipping cute!

18. Melissa says:

Makenzie is so cute..she really wants baby B to come play:)
    Love that video!!

19. Katie says:

M is so cute hitting your stomach in the video. 🙂 Thanks for sharing. Loved this post today.

20. Astrid says:

I always rolled my eyes at girls who wear yoga pants everywhere. Now that I have my first pair of Lulu pants, I want to wear them everywhere. I now finally understand the obsession. Same with Uggs.
    I voted for Mackenzie!!

21. Love the video and I love your blog because it is so REAL!

22. I LOVED HEARING YOUR VOICE!!! i know you said that to me a little while ago and i feel totally creepy saying it back 🙂

23. Melie says:

Voted for M! She is so cute! 🙂 It is ironic that for all my life I have lived next to the sea. I love it and I cannot imagine not being able to just go and walk, swim, relax to the sea. And I love the beach in the summer. But I will not get into the ocean no matter what. It’s so cold! There are sharks in there right? Of course when surfing the sharks disappear, right? Right??

24. This post made me smile so much. I needed that today…especially the part about M waring socks on her hands as gloves and getting frustrated when she can’t grab things. So cute!!

My belly JUST started moving a little when the baby kicks, it’s so weird. However, EVERY time I try to show Michael..she stops. I’ll feel her kick with my hand and belly, and then watch my belly rise up a little jolt, then someone watches…nothing.

PS–thanks for the virtual hugs. Munchkin is recovering as I type and I am so relieved!

25. haha great post tina! There are so many ironic things that happen I’m having a hard time thinking of any right this second!

26. I LOVE that you videotaped your belly!! Thats so cute.

I’m going to go vote right now. 🙂

27. I love the video. I loved watching my friend’s belly move when she was pregnant. Very alien like.

I think it is ironic that I get more work done when I have insomnia than I do in the office.

28. Lisa says:

Omg I love that video. Your sister is so funny. “It looks like a GIANT BOOB.” hahahha and Makenzie’s voice is so cutee omggg!

Voted for her!~

29. Voted!! And I love the video….you sound so different from what I expected!! Almost always the case. Oh, and I hate the ocean too. I get creeped out by how big it is!!

30. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Tina Reale, Tina Reale. Tina Reale said: Isn’t It Ironic: Oh, how I used to love that song! Then, I heard it recently and the whole part with the dad lea… http://bit.ly/eH5eXX […]

31. Rachel says:

It’s like raiiiiin on your wedding day

It’s a free rideeee though you’ve already paid

It’s the good advice that you just didn’t take

And who would’ve thought?! It figuresssss

I used to love that song, too! Now I don’t. That’s ironic, maybe? 😉

I can’t watch the video at work….but i will watch this tonight! You are so adorable pregnant.

I would say (and this is probably a huge one for adults) that I find it funny that I hated going to sleep and taking naps as a child….now, I LIVE for those times.

33. Rach says:

Aww, you are such a cute pregnant momma! 🙂 Love the shot of you walking with the stroller.

And I love that your daughter’s name is spelled Makenzie – that’s how my precious niece’s name is spelled too! Love it! 🙂

34. Tatianna says:

Ugh.. insomnia can be so frustrating! I hope you get some sleep soon, you’re going to need it!

PS. I totally voted 🙂 Your girl’s a superstar!

35. What a sweet video!! So crazy to see the baby move!

I am without about the ocean. I worked in Hilton Head one summer and did not go in the ocean once!!

36. LOL I love love love the beach, but won’t get in the ocean. I get into the lake, but only if it’s deep – as in from the boat, middle of the lake to ski. Still have my fingers crossed that Baby B cooperates and comes soon!!

37. I love the beach and the ocean but lakes freak me out. I think b/c I grew up 5 mins from the beach and lakes always seem soooooo murky to me–they are scary!

38. I voted for your little cutie!

I’m actually a bigger fan of the lake – I hate all of the sand at the beach! BUT do prefer the beach water. Does this make sense? Is this ironic? LOL

The pics of cutie with the socks on her hand will make AWESOME embarrassing shots for her rehearsal dinner slideshow. Wow – I just added 20+ years to your daughter’s life. 🙂

39. Love the video!! Too stinking cute. Your sis’s comment was funny…and true haha.

Voting for M now 🙂

40. you are too cute my friend! This video cracks me right up. What a good chuckle for a mid day watch 🙂

xxoo

41. That video is so cool (and it made me laugh!). 🙂
    Haha, I especially love the last line. 🙂
    Thanks for sharing!

42. ok the video is PRICELESS!! lol.

irony, my life feels like a walking irony. i think lately its been certain people i meet that is most ironic. for example i will be with a group of people i just meet and i will instantly pick a few out of the group that i think i will mesh with best. the irony is that the ones i think i wont like end up being more compatible and the ones i thought id like i end up disliking! lol

43. Hate to tell ya, but lakes have LOTS of stuff living in them. Fish, snakes, frogs, leeches. I still love swimming in them 🙂

44. […] I have kept a smile on my face for the most part and made light of the end of pregnancy, with an Operation Evacuate Baby B Day and sharing a video of my 9 months pregnant belly earlier today. […]

That video gave me the biggest smile and laugh!! How cute is Makenzie!! What a big sister she’s going to be!

46. Mandy says:

hahahahahahahaaa Makenzie is so freaking cute. “baby Braedon!” LOL She is adorable and I <3 her. :):):) Love the video!

47. Allison says:

That video is so cute! M’s going to be a great big sis. Just voted for her 🙂

48. Voted!!

I LOVE that video. I remember how Sophie would move.. so awesome.